Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Larry Freimark: 1957-2021

Posted By on Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 6:05 AM

Larry Francis Freimark passed away from a heart attack on Aug. 25, 2021, at his home in Portland, Oregon.

Larry was born in Iowa on March 16, 1957, the second child of Chester and Lois Tramner Freimark. Larry and his older sister, Theresa, were later joined by younger brother Dale.

In 1971, when Larry was 14, his father Chester died suddenly, at home, in front of the children. The experience proved very difficult for Larry, and he was sent to live with a Methodist minister on the Santee Sioux Reservation in Nebraska.

In healing from the trauma from his father’s death, Larry was drawn to the spiritual life of the Sioux, a deep connection he held for the rest of his life, finding comfort in its rituals.

Larry married and had three children, Jason, Tony and Stephanie. He moved to Phoenix and later relocated to Portland, where, now divorced, he started a business, "Them Two Guys Moving." He was one of them two guys who moved Tonya Detlefsen into her new house. Larry then moved in and never left.
In the late 90s, Larry decided to go back to school. He became a journeyman electrician and was proud to be a member of the trades.

"Larry and I decided we needed a dog," Tonya said, "so we bought a Field Spaniel puppy." The breeder lived about 30 minutes away in a beautiful house with an airstrip and a swimming pool. "One day, shortly after we got Chester — yes, he named his dog after his late father," she said, "If you want to keep the dog, I want you to show him."

"We thought, mistakenly, that it would be like showing cows in 4-H. Larry accepted the challenge and spent a lot of time in the breeder’s airplane hangar, learning how to show dogs. His first showing was at Portland’s Rose City Dog Show. I was at work, and he called me to say he was scared to death. He and Chester had won. And he had to hang around until evening to go with the other winners on ‘Animal Planet.’ When the episode showed, Larry — who thought he looked 'like a fat Don Knotts' — was relieved. Chester was the star; only Larry’s feet made the frame. Later in Redmond, Oregon, at the Field Spaniel West Coast Regionals, Chester won again, easily. The judge said it was because of Chester’s muscle tone. Larry, the breeder, and I knew why: all summer long, while we were home with our window air conditioner, Chester had been with the breeder, his 'grandmother,' swimming all day, every day in the elegant pool. It’s a dog’s life."

In 2004, when Tonya was 50, she and Larry rode the ferry to Victoria, B.C., to celebrate. Upon arrival in Canada, Larry was detained by border officials. Turned out about 30 years earlier, he was 18 and in the state of Washington visiting his cousins. They camped out near a farm and drank beer. Larry looked up from the firepit and saw that one of his cousins had wandered into the field and was riding a cow. So, they all decided to ride cows. Not enough for Larry. He decided to one-up and do it in the nude. Not surprisingly, the farmer was alerted, and he called the police. They arrived to find Larry trotting down the country road, naked on the back of a cow. The cops followed him, with lights and sirens that frightened the cow into running faster.

Larry and all the cousins were arrested and arraigned and charged with cattle rustling, but when the judge heard that Larry had been naked, he dropped the charges.

Canada never got the memo.

But someone did. When Larry was in the hospital for gall bladder issues a few years back, he figured out the place where people snuck out to smoke, only to realize after he was outside that the door had locked behind him. To get back into the hospital, he had to walk down the busy Tualatin street for about a mile, pulling an IV, and with his open-backed hospital gown revealing the usual view. When he finally reached the emergency room entrance, a hospital employee working outside glanced up, looked him over, and said, “You Larry?”

In 2016, the Detlefsen family in California needed a caretaker for Tonya’s 101-year-old mother, Maxine. Larry volunteered and moved to Ferndale.
When he first arrived, Tonya told him, “Mom will be having ladies from her church’s bible study stopping by to visit.” Larry was eager to please everyone, so he made cookies and tea every time they showed up. About the fourth time, they arrived, he realized they weren’t “ladies from Mom’s church,” they were Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Nevertheless, Larry enjoyed his time with them at tea, and with Maxine, the town, and Jim Bass's sheep (all of which he named). In 2018, Maxine died just before her 104th birthday, and Larry returned home to Portland.

Larry will be remembered for his sense of humor, for being the best storyteller ever and for his love of cooking. (His skill with curing and smoking meat so impressed Tonya’s father, Doc Detlefsen, that Doc gave Larry, and only Larry, the coveted family sausage recipe.)

Larry Freimark is survived by his partner of 26 years, Tonya Detlefsen; his children, Jason Freimark, Tony Freimark, and Stephanie Blacketter; six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; and his good friends, Thea Coppini, Russell Yates and Donna Reed. His ashes were scattered at Trillium Lake on Mount Hood, one of his favorite places.

One of Larry’s oft-told stories was about his grandparents. One day, somewhere in Iowa, Larry’s grandfather was sitting on the porch of his farmhouse, when one of his grandchildren ran up.

“Grandpa! Grandpa! Grandma has been hit by lightning!”
Slowly, and clearly annoyed, Grandpa said, “Again?”
Yes, Larry’s grandmother was hit by lightning twice.

But we won’t be. There will always be only one Larry.
  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Samuel P. Oliner: 1930-2021

Posted By on Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 6:30 AM

Samuel P. Oliner passed away on November 17th, 2021. He was born in Zyndranowa, Poland, in 1930. Zyndranowa was a farming village in southern Poland near the Czech border in the Carpathian Mountains.  He lived on the small farm belonging to his grandparents Isak and Reisel Polster, together with his parents and siblings. Sam was left orphaned by the barbarity of Nazi-occupation during World War II, aided in his survival by a Polish family who risked their lives to rescue him.

After the war, Sam immigrated to England where he began his formal education at Bunce Court School in Kent in 1946. In 1950, he made his way to New York City with the help of relatives. Shortly after his arrival in America, Sam was drafted into the U.S. Army and served in the Korean War (Bronze Service Star, National Defense Medal, Presidential Unit Citation). While attending Brooklyn College on the G.I. Bill upon his return from Korea, Sam met Pearl Merkur on a blind date arranged by his best pal Fred Knauer. Sam and Pearl were married in 1956 and for 65 years before she passed earlier this year.

In 1957, Pearl and Sam packed their U-Haul truck and headed for California. They each received a PhD from the University of California at Berkeley, and together they became professors at Humboldt State University. Sam was chair of the Sociology Department, and by all accounts much beloved by students, staff, and colleagues during his 30 years as a professor. In 1973, he founded the Humboldt Journal of Social Relations, which remains in publication to this day. Sam and Pearl founded the Altruistic Personality and Prosocial Behavior Institute at HSU.  Together, they were awarded HSU’s Scholar of the Year prize in 1990. Sam has authored nine books and numerous other publications focusing on the subject of altruism and why some people risk their lives to help others.  He published his most recent literary work this year, at age 91. A central theme that runs throughout his scholarship is the importance of kindness and courageousness, even in the darkest times. He was, at his core, an optimist.  Sam was humble, caring, generous and always inquisitive. 

Sam is survived by his three sons and their families: Ron and Kristen, and their sons Evan and Daniel; David and Liz, their daughter Lauren and sons William and Harrison; and Ian and Valerie, and their sons Adam and Jason. He is survived also by his cousin Martin, whose parents were instrumental in making Sam’s arrival in the United States possible. Most recently, he had the unrelenting support of his sons following the heartbreaking loss of his beloved wife Pearl only nine months ago. He leaves behind close friends and colleagues too numerous to mention, among them Arthur Rose, his childhood friend from Bunce Court.

He will be in our hearts for eternity.  May his memory be a blessing.

There will be a small private ceremony. The family intends to hold a celebration of life in early 2022.

  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Clinton Dean Rebik:1966-2021

Posted By on Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:56 PM

Clinton Dean Rebik was born on March 30, 1966, in Brawley, California, and passed away on November 4, 2021, in Eureka, California due to esophageal cancer. He grew up in Brawley and graduated in 1984 from Brawley Union High School. He moved to Arcata to attend Humboldt State University in the fall of 1984 and remained in the area for the remainder of his life.

After graduating from HSU in 1987 with a bachelor’s degree in Theatre Arts, he became the Artistic Director for the Ferndale Repertory Theatre for several years, where he directed and acted in many productions. At the same time, he became a part-time black-jack dealer at Cher-Ae Heights Casino, eventually moving over to Blue Lake Casino. In 1999, he and an enthusiastic and intrepid group of theatre artists formed the Redwood Curtain Theatre, for which he was named Artistic Director.  Redwood Curtain Theatre staged over 90 productions in twenty years, many of its most memorable directed by Clint.  

In 2006 he began working at Humboldt State University in the Office of the Registrar and was promoted to Registrar in 2012. Along the way, he completed his masters’ degree in Theatre Arts from HSU, also in 2012.

Along with all aspects of theater, he loved traveling, snowboarding, hiking, lazily rafting rivers, and lying in the warm sunshine. But the thing he loved most in the world was spending time with his sons.

He was preceded in death by his dad, Stephen Emil Rebik, his paternal grandparents Emil and Jean Elizabeth (Cox) Rebik, and maternal grandparents Marvin J. and Agnes Winifred (Hanlon) Young. He leaves his mom, Mary Ellen (Young) Rebik, sister Winifred Jean (Rebik) (Jude)  Temple and their two daughters Katelyn Jean and Emma Danielle,  his partner of 25 years Thomas Patrick Roscoe, and his two sons Matthew Dean Jioras and Alexander Harry Jioras, and their moms Christina Jioras and Peggy Metzger, plus numerous aunts, uncles, cousins and a multitude of friends. Clint made everyone in his life feel special.

A Celebration of Life will be held on December 4, 2021, at Blue Lake Casino’s Sapphire Palace, from 3-5 p.m.

  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Friday, November 12, 2021

Jan S. Ostrom: 1945-2021

Posted By on Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 6:00 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Jan Ostrom passed away on November 1, 2021. The world has lost a remarkable woman.

There’s a line from a Mary Oliver poem that beautifully reflects Jan’s approach to life, “I don’t want to end up simply having visited this world,” and Jan certainly did not!

It would be impossible to know just how many lives Jan touched, impacted, and changed during the course of her lifetime. Her multiple careers, each reflecting her wonderfully varied interests and skills, spanned decades. Jan’s first profession was as a social worker in Los Angeles where she once found herself comforting incarcerated teenage girls during lockdown as the 1965 Watts riots raged. She was sensitive enough to know they “just needed someone to listen to them.”

Later, she followed her passion and earned her MFA in Film and Television Production from UCLA. This led to her second career teaching at the university level, as well as a satisfying run with NBC Television in Los Angeles. Appreciated for her abilities, work ethic, and interpersonal skills, Jan was a respected member of television production for many years.

Content with her life, Jan was happily surprised when she met and fell deeply in love with Alexandra Wineland. They eventually moved to Eureka, CA and Jan began yet another chapter in her rich life. Possessing a wide range of skills, Jan worked for the Humboldt County Department of Public Health, and later, directed the College of the Redwoods Diversity Program.

Jan often remarked how Alex changed her life “in the best possible way.” When they were finally able to legally marry in 2008, Jan was quoted as saying the two had been together “exactly 22 and a half years, three beautiful, beautiful, beautiful daughters, seven wonderful grandchildren and a stunning great grandchild!”

A strong team, these two exceptional women created a wonderful life together, one that included traveling, returning repeatedly to their beloved Hawaii.

In retirement, Jan was a valued volunteer at the Humboldt Botanical Gardens, using her many media skills to promote the gardens she so treasured. She also returned to her television roots and happily produced two programs for PBS KEET. The staffs at both organizations thought highly of her, appreciating her many contributions and good nature!

And, in a decision that was quintessential Jan, she made her theatrical debut at 72 in the Humboldt Light Opera Company’s production of “The Wizard of Oz.” She was a munchkin who lit up the stage!

Jan had that wonderful ability to truly connect with people. She was a gifted organizer who could size up a problem and find a solution in short order. A talented storyteller and writer, she had been compiling family stories to include in an entertaining collection for her family. (Her childhood in rural Alaska was fascinating … and hysterical!) Later in life, Jan’s articles would regularly appear in The Senior News and The L-Word.

Jan’s real legacy in all of these endeavors was how highly respected and regarded she was. People just fell in love with her! Most of all, Jan was kind. She was so aware of others and their circumstances, so quick to offer her time, skills, and empathy. Family members and those fortunate to have had the honor of her friendship, will forever miss her compassion, generosity, wit, and beautiful heart.

At Jan’s request there will be no service. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Humboldt Botanical Gardens.

  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Curtis 'Curt' Allan Wood: 1946-2021

Posted By on Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 6:23 AM

Curtis Wood
  • Curtis Wood
Curtis “Curt” Allan Wood passed away October 25th, 2021, after a long battle with Parkinson’s and prostate cancer. Curt was born Sept 12, 1946, to Everett and Elaine Wood.  As a 5th generation Southern Humboldt County native, he was a great local historian, often telling stories about ranching, logging and, of course, the 1955 and 1964 floods.

He grew up in Weott, California, where his parents owned and operated the J.E. Johnson Store for many years.  Curt grew up working in the store, tending to the family garden, playing sports, hunting, and fishing.  He graduated from South Fork High School in 1964 with a decorated athletic career. He was very proud of the fact that he earned All County honors in 3 sports:  football, basketball and baseball. In addition he won numerous high school track and field events in 1964 as one of the fastest sprinters in the county in the 100 yard and 220 yard dash. He was heavily recruited by the Fresno State Baseball Program (At that time Fresno State was a premiere Division 1 Baseball Powerhouse). He then spent a year and a half playing baseball at Fresno State, and finished his baseball career at Humboldt State University while attaining a Bachelor’s and Master’s in Education.

During college he met his 1st wife Kathy Heinze and settled in Eureka, CA. He always loved sports and played golf, men’s league basketball, and fast pitch softball for Rockin ‘R.  Even though he graduated with a teaching credential, he found a passion in a career in lumber sales. After a few years with Twin Harbors in Arcata, California, he moved to Sound Stud in Cottonwood, California. He then accepted an offer to sell lumber at Eel River Sawmills in Fortuna for the next 20+ years.  He then finished his career working remotely for Agwood Mill & Lumber. Throughout his lumber career he gained many special relationships that led to memorable golf and fishing trips.  Curt was an avid fisherman and was extremely skilled in hooking and landing the prized steelhead. Curt knew all the fishing holes on the Eel and the Mattole rivers.

He and Kathy made Fortuna their home and raised their 2 boys, Hec and Jeff.  Curt was an active father, coaching the boys’ basketball and baseball teams while playing golf in between. Golf became his most cherished hobby.  He and the boys would play regularly after work and on weekends. These golf outings provided the foundation for his two sons’ future golf achievements.  Nothing made their dad prouder than watching the 2 boys competing and playing tournament golf.

In his retirement years he was a member of both Redwood Empire and Baywood Golf clubs. As many of his friends and family know, golf was six days a week. Monday’s were the day to mow the lawn, as both courses are closed that day.

Curt met his second wife, Cheryl Hurst in the late 90’s. They spent the next 24 years together in a loving and devoted relationship.  Their favorite activities were playing golf together regularly, as well as entertaining, and traveling with lots of old and new friends. When Curt’s health started to decline a few years ago, Cheryl took amazing care of Curt; she was so patient, comforting and loving – she was a true blessing and was there for Curt the entire time.

Throughout his life, Curt gave his time and energy to many causes.  He helped spearhead the group that brought in “major league” quality clay for the infield and added lights at the Conroy Little League field in Fortuna.  He helped create an amazing fundraiser golf tournament for the Fortuna High Golf Team.  He also held roles as president of the Redwood Empire Golf & Country Club and as a board member for Van Duzen Land, and in the mid 90’s he was a big part of the drive behind the expansion of Redwood Empire into an 18 hole golf course. No matter what the cause, Curt was always there to help.

He is survived by his wife, Cheryl Hurst, his oldest son Hec Wood (Carol) and grandson Eli of Fortuna and his youngest son Jeff Wood (Veronica) and grandchildren Brandon and Naomi of Shingle Springs, California, his brother Dennis Wood (Susan) of West Sacramento and his sister Linda Brodersen (Jim) of Eagle Point, Oregon, Cheryl’s children, Cory Price and Saunda Kitchen. He is also survived by his niece Lisa Wood Page of West Sacramento and nephew Chad Wood of Rancho Murieta, California, his niece Sara Brodersen Cook of Medford, Oregon and nephew Brent Brodersen of Phoenix, Oregon. In addition, there are many other surviving cousins, nieces, nephews, and dear friends who meant a lot to him.

Graveside services will be held at Fortuna Sunrise Cemetery at noon Tuesday, November 23rd, followed by a celebration of life at Redwood Empire Golf and Country Club at 2 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, in honor of Curt’s love for youth sports and a lifelong and vocal South Fork Cub fan we ask that donations be made in his name to South Fork High Booster Club P.O. Box 1713, Redway, CA 95560 or to Fortuna High Boys and Girls Golf program 379 12th St, Fortuna, CA.

  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Marilyn Louise Barnes Van Deventer Goodwin: 1939-2021

Posted By on Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 7:30 AM

Marilyn Louise Barnes Van Deventer Goodwin, July 31, 1939, to  Oct. 23, 2021.
  • Marilyn Louise Barnes Van Deventer Goodwin, July 31, 1939, to Oct. 23, 2021.
Marilyn Louise Barnes Van Deventer Goodwin passed away peacefully on Oct. 23, 2021, at Seaview Rehabilitation and Wellness Center at the age of 82. Known as Mary Lou to her friends, and Lou Lou to her grandchildren and employees at Eureka Florist, she lived her life in service to her community.

Mary Lou was born on July 31, 1939, and raised in Fortuna. She earned a Bachelor’s degree in physical education and a teaching credential at Humboldt State University and was the charter president of the Delta Zeta Sorority, president of the California Student Teachers, and HSU Outstanding Woman of the Year in 1959. She married Clayton Andrew Van Deventer (Zeke) in 1960 and had children Jon and Kris. Mary Lou and Zeke became co-owners of her parents’ business, Barnes Tractor & Equipment in Fernbridge for many years and enjoyed snow skiing with family and friends in Ashland and Bend, Oregon. While raising her children, she was very active in the 4-H Gardening Club, Methodist Youth Group and Sunday school. She was the first woman trustee on the Fortuna Elementary School Board and a member of the Humboldt County Grand Jury. After Zeke’s untimely death in 1990, she bought Eureka Florist and worked closely with her daughter and son-in-law for the next 30 years, actively supporting the Henderson Center Merchants Association.

She married Charles F. Goodwin Jr. in 1992 and they enjoyed being grandparents to Kyle, a civil engineer in Chico, and Kaitlyn, a senior epidemiologist at the Arizona State Public Health Department in Phoenix. She was a two-time president and 50-year member of Fortuna Garden Club and longtime member and past president of Eureka Sequoia Garden Club. She received certificates from the California Garden Clubs, Inc. (CGCI) Flower Show School and Landscape Design School. She was chairman of the Fortuna Daffodil Show and judged flower arranging and landscapes all over the state, including the State Fair in Sacramento. After serving on the CGCI Executive Committee for six years, she was elected as their 32nd President from 1991-1993. She was honored as the CGCI Woman of the Year for 2009 and in 2016 was presented the CGCI Lifetime Achievement Award.

Serving on the CGCI Landscape Design Council, she honored noteworthy gardens of California Wineries statewide and over 100 outstanding landscapes in Eureka. Her recent conservation project was at the Stagecoach Hill Azalea Reserve, north of Trinidad, where her garden club members took cuttings and seeds, which were propagated at the Redwood National and State Parks Nursery. She entered numerous flower arrangements in the Humboldt County Fair and later helped fill the Lath House with informational displays promoting the benefits of joining local garden clubs. Her Eureka Sequoia Garden Club members were instrumental in planting the beautiful hanging baskets that adorn Old Town Eureka, during the summer.

Mary Lou was a 50-year and third-generation member of Eastern Star serving as Worthy Matron in 1972 and 1976, with Zeke by her side, in Ferndale Chapter. Long is the tradition of her family’s service in the Masonic organizations: father and husband third degree Masons; grandmother and mother Eastern Star members; daughter and granddaughter Past Honored Queens of Job’s Daughters’ International; son a past DeMolay Master Counselor; and Chuck and grandson members of DeMolay International.

She was a charter member of Soroptimist International of Eel River Valley and encouraged her daughter to join the Eureka club, where she now serves as Governor of Founder Region. Mary Lou was dedicated to making the world a better and more beautiful place. She was a role model to many women and girls and touched the lives of so many in her community. She is survived by her loving husband of 29 years Chuck Goodwin; children Kris (Doug) Chorbi & Jon Van Deventer; grandchildren Kaitlyn (Connor) and Kyle Chorbi; sister Bette June (Steve) Gatewood; brother-in-law Alain Chaillet; nieces and nephews Garrett (Cheryll) Gatewood, Vanessa (Patrick) Riggs, Julien (Sandra) Chaillet, Annoushka Chaillet, and great-nieces and nephews Jacob, Owen, Emma, Caleb, Vincent, Claire & Sasha. She is preceded in death by her first husband Zeke Van Deventer; mother and father Grace and Neal Barnes; and sister, Neale Ann Chaillet.

There will be a Public Celebration of Life reception on Saturday, Nov. 27 from 2-4:00 p.m. at the Eureka Elks Lodge. Donations can be made to the Eureka Sequoia Garden Club in her memory to P.O. Box 479, Bayside, CA 95524-0479.
  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Monday, November 8, 2021

Elmer Eberhardt: 1925-2021

Posted By on Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 9:00 AM

On the beautiful, sunny afternoon of October 16th, Elmer Eberhardt took his last breath at Hospice House in Eureka, CA, after some brief medical issues. He celebrated his 96th birthday just one month prior to his passing.

Elmer was born a first generation American in Bayard, NE, on September 14, 1925. His parents, Heinrich (Henry) Eberhardt and Mary Kuxhausen, emigrated to the United States as Volga Germans from Russia. Elmer was the fifth of six children who lived and worked on the family farm.

As a four year old child, he became responsible for watching his younger brother, Robert. Elmer’s father passed away in 1941 when Elmer was six years old. His mother remarried, and, when he was several years older, Elmer worked in the farm fields with his siblings thinning and weeding sugar beets among other farm chores. At 16 years of age, Elmer helped haul 1.200 tons of sugar beets. Farming was difficult, back-breaking work. His mother insisted that the children get an education during a time when many farm kids left school for good. Elmer graduated from  Nebraska's Minatare High School in 1943.

While on a double date with a friend, Elmer met Betty, who was actually his friend’s date. After the friend stole Elmer's date, Elmer got even by giving Betty a big kiss. Betty says she saw stars and that is how their courtship began. Betty and Elmer  were married in Scottsbluff, NE, on November 26, 1948. Elmer worked at Bunk’s store, on Hiway 26 east of Scottsbluff, before and after they married. Elmer and Betty moved to Omaha so Elmer could attend the Electronic Radio and Television Institute. Elmer worked at a creamery there while going to school. They moved back to Scottsbluff where their first child, son, David, was born in 1949. Elmer worked in bean plants in Lincoln and Scottsbluff, where he was responsible for the maintenance of the electronic sorting equipment.

Living in the Midwest, neither Betty nor Elmer wanted a farm life. Elmer was looking for a better way to make a living, and his older brother, Al, offered a solution. Al ended up in northern California after serving in the Air Force in WWII, where there were many jobs that paid good wages in the timber industry. After a year of contemplation, Elmer and Betty moved their little family to Humboldt County, where Elmer began working for Fairhurst Timber Company. Their second child, daughter Diane, was born in 1955 followed by daughter, Debra, in 1957.

Eventually, Elmer and Betty were able to purchase a small house in Eureka.  Over the years, Elmer wired, plumbed, sheet rocked, painted, roofed, built cupboards, etc. remodeling their home. In 1977, they moved to their home in Cutten. From the moment they set foot in Humboldt County, Elmer and Betty began exploring local rivers, beaches, and forests. Elmer enjoyed spending time picnicking, fishing, camping, and taking Sunday drives with Betty and their children. Elmer was a good provider for the family. He made certain they had all that they needed, including taking annual family vacations. They enjoyed visiting interesting places and seeing the sights in many states.

Elmer later worked for Thurman B. White as a timber cruiser and land surveyor and hiked many, many miles through northern California timberlands. He was a state licensed forester. Elmer’s final job was with Belcher Abstract and Title Company in Eureka from which he retired in 1990.

Elmer loved his grandchildren. He attended  their school functions, birthday, holiday parties, and other important events. He loved having them come to visit. Elmer probably spent the most time with his three young granddaughters who lived just down the road and attended the nearby schools. Grandpa Elmer and Grandma Betty provided afterschool care and some summer care. The girls spent many hours at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. If they weren’t baking with Grandma, or listening to Grandpa read stories to them, they were in the yard with Grandpa Elmer checking out the flowers, vegetables, and apples. They went on many walks in the nearby forests. Grandpa would teach them about  trees, cones, plants, and insects. Often they would pick up rocks or even stray golf balls from the forest. The Sequoia Park and Zoo was another favorite place. There, Grandpa would push them on the swings or take them exploring the Duck Pond, trails, and the zoo.

Continue reading »

  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Friday, November 5, 2021

Phillip Nicholas Buihner: 1951-2021

Posted By on Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 10:27 AM

Phillip Nicholas Buihner April 10, 1951, to Oct. 2, 2021
  • Phillip Nicholas Buihner April 10, 1951, to Oct. 2, 2021

Phillip Nicholas Buihner was born April 10, 1952, and passed away Oct. 2, 2021, at age 70 from metastatic prostate cancer. He was home, surrounded by family and loved ones. 

 Phil was born in Marshalltown, Iowa, and moved to Eureka as a boy. A graduate of Eureka Senior High, Phil spent his life in service to his country and community. Phil enlisted in the Army Corps of Engineers right out of high school and served four years in Germany. He would go on to serve in the Army National Guard for another 16 years until he retired at the rank of sergeant. He completed the Police Academy at College of the Redwoods before being hired on as a deputy with the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office in 1982. He loved his job and continued to work there until he retired in 2011 at the rank of sergeant. Even in retirement Phil devoted much of his time to the community he loved by working a short stint as a bailiff at the Federal Courthouse before returning to the Sheriff’s Office as extra help until his cancer diagnosis in 2018.

During those years of service Phil also found time to live a full and cherished life. In 1983 he and his long-time girlfriend Kriss were married. They would go on to raise three sons; Nicholas, Kristopher and Brian. Phil was thrilled to see all three of his sons enter fulfilling careers, marry and go on to start families of their own, including six grand-dogs and four grand-kids. As a husband, father and grandfather, he harbored a great love for his family, was proud of his sons, praised his daughters-in-law, and cherished his grandchildren. 

Knowing Phil was a delight. Always ready to help, he was reputed by colleagues, family, and friends to keep a pocket full of tools wherever he went. When he wasn’t on patrol keeping Humboldt safe and beautiful, he spent his time watching reruns of M*A*S*H, reading Tom Clancy, walking his dogs, riding motorcycles, working on creative projects with his wife and spending time with his growing family. His love of motorcycles took on many forms over the years, from racing motocross and teaching motorcycle riding lessons, to riding cross-country and going on shorter joy rides with the local Harley Group. He was always ready to help Kriss solve some new engineering challenge in her decorating and party-planning business, including balloon arches for weddings and huge props for the glory days of the Eureka Inn Christmas Trees.

It was a dream of Phil’s that he and Kriss retire near the lakes where they had spent so many summers with their children, family, and friends. He loved pulling his kids, grandkids, and all their friends behind his ski-boat on Whiskeytown or Shasta. The man was a traditionalist and single skied, but was also known for getting in the water with a large, polished plywood disc and flimsy wooden chair from his childhood. He certainly made for a curious sight as he was pulled gracefully around the lake on this disk and chair, turning the heads of every witness.

After his diagnosis he and Kriss were able to buy their dream home on Shasta Lake to finally retire in peace with their projects and family. It was in that home that he spent the remainder of his shortened life. Kriss and Phil were blessed to have the support of their sons and family members in the final months preceding his death. Some took over household chores and repairs while others took over the shopping and cooking, but most important was the time everyone was able to spend together. Phil was overjoyed that they would give up so much of their own lives to help take care of him. Even when having so many people around became chaotic, if you asked to close his door he would smile and say, “That’s not chaos, that's love.” 

Phil is survived by Kriss, his wife of 38 years; his sons Nicholas, Kristopher and Brian; his grandchildren Morgan, Bryson, Evelyn and Oaklee; and his sisters Jo, Eileen, Margaret, Kathy and Paula.

Phil will be honored with a military service at the National Cemetery in Igo, California, where his ashes will be interred on Friday, Nov. 19 at 2 p.m. A memorial celebration will be held at the Peace Officers Hall in Freshwater on Dec. 11 at 1 p.m. 

  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Saturday, October 30, 2021

Phillip 'Phil' Michael Arnot: 1937-2021

Posted By on Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 4:36 AM

Philip Michael Arnot was born on March 10, 1937, in Los Angeles California to Maynard “Jocko” and Lucille Arnot. He lived in Glendale until 1944 when his parents moved Phil and his older brother James D. Arnot to Eureka. Jocko wanted the family to experience living on a farm like he had growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska. In 1947, the family purchased a small 9-acre farm with a horse, a cow, pigs, and rabbits in the Freshwater basin.

After two years, the family moved back to Eureka where Phil lived until he graduated from Eureka High School in 1954. Phil attended Humboldt State College in 1955 and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in 1958. Phil graduated from Lincoln Law School in San Francisco in 1963 and was admitted to the California state bar in 1964.

Phil and Sally were married in 1957. They returned to Eureka in 1964 where Philip worked for Humboldt Land Title Company for two years. He went into private practice for Fred Hilger in 1966.

Phil and Sally had their first child, Michael in 1964, and their second child Stephen in 1966. Michael is a chiropractor in Portland, Oregon. Steve is a lawyer for the Federal Department of Justice in Portland, Oregon.

Phil was a skilled bankruptcy practitioner and personal injury litigator. In 1985, Phil and Rory Hanson tried the case of Baker v. PG&E and obtained a jury verdict of 2.1 million, the largest verdict at that time in a personal injury case.

Phil’s 50 year legal career is credited with numerous published decisions in landmark bankruptcy cases. Those decisions have been the basis for numerous appellate court opinions.

Phil was active in local and state politics. During Ronald Reagan’s campaign for governor, Phil was the campaigns representative on the north coast and hosted Reagan while he campaigned in Humboldt County. A memorable experience. Phil was also the Humboldt County chair for Governor George Deukmejian for two terms.

In his later years, Phil spent a decade providing community comments on KINS radio. I can still hear him now, “this is Phil Arnot signing off for community comment.”

Phil and Sally celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary in Portland Oregon in 2021 with their family following a recent move to Lake Oswego to be closer to Michael and Stephen. It was quite an event. Philip’s wife of 64 years recently passed away in September at the age of 82. Heartbroken, he followed her by passing a month later.

Phil is survived by his two sons Michael and Stephen, Stephen’s wife Andrea, and 5 grandchildren, Eloise, Sam, Camille, Nicholas, and Alexis. He also leaves behind his brother-in-laws Chris and Rick Watson. He additionally leaves behind on his brother James Arnot’s side of the family, Sharon his sister-in-law, nieces Michelle and Sheri-Lynn, nephews Joe, David, Randy, and Rodney and Janet Arnot’s children, Philip, James and Jeanette.

Phil passed away on October 18, 2021. He was a wonderful man, a loving husband and father, and good friend to many and an exemplary community member to the Eureka and Humboldt Bay area. He will be missed. A service was held at Ocean View Sunrise Memorial Park on October 29, 2021.
  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Danielle Renee Wight: 1987-2021

Posted By on Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 8:30 AM

Danielle “Danni” Wight Sept. 19, 1987, to Oct. 7, 2021.
  • Danielle “Danni” Wight Sept. 19, 1987, to Oct. 7, 2021.

Danielle “Danni” Wight left this world unexpectedly at her home in Arcata, California, on Oct. 7, 2021, at the young age of 34. She was born in San Francisco, California, on Sept. 19, 1987, prematurely at 4 pounds and 9 ounces to Sandra Dennon and David Wight.

Danni, as known by friends and family, spent her life growing up between the bright lights of Las Vegas and the beautiful ocean and redwoods of Humboldt County. Las Vegas has proven to have bestowed Danni with lifelong friends. Friends who say, “Danni had the biggest heart of anyone they knew. She always helped people in need...even to the detriment of her own happiness. She never stopped caring about other people.” In Humboldt County and surrounding areas, Danni had the love and support of her family and friends who encouraged her in her education and career opportunities. Danni had a gift for writing which was passed on from her mom. Danni expressed this gift through her poetry. She loved her friends and family. She also had a love for music, the outdoors, her piercings, and tattoos. But her biggest love of all is her two daughters. From the moment she found out she was pregnant with her first daughter to her last breath, her two girls were her entire world.

Danni graduated from Silverado High School in 2005. She had many dreams along her path that she pursued. She attended the Paul Mitchell Beauty School of Cosmetology and then went on to study Dental Assisting at College of the Redwoods. Later in her life, she moved on to be a foreclosure specialist and then a loan processor. She was very proud of these accomplishments as were her friends and family.  

Danni was preceded in death by her grandmother Phoebe Rae Rose, her mother Sandra Dennon and her brother Shad Burns.

Danni is survived by her two beautiful daughters Onyx and Omen, her father David Wight, her brother Jasen Dennon, her nieces and nephews Cody, Jacee and Makai. And a large loving extended family. Danni’s unforgettable laugh and her bright smile will be painfully missed by all who knew and loved her.

A Celebration of Life will be announced at a later date.

  • Pin It
  • Favorite
  • Email
Submit an Obituary

The North Coast Journal publishes free online obituaries, allowing people to share news of a loved one's passing with the community and celebrate their life. Submit your obituary with or without photos to at least three days before you would like to see them posted. Please include your name and contact information. Submissions may be edited for spelling and grammar. (For some tips on how to write a compelling remembrance, click here.)

The Journal also offers paid obituaries in our weekly newspaper as an option for those who would like to see them print. For more information on print obituaries, contact Mark Boyd at or (707) 442-1400, extension 314.

Recent Comments

  • Re: Samuel P. Oliner: 1930-2021

    • A very kind, empathetic man. I took his classes at HSU in The Study of…

    • on November 28, 2021
  • Re: Samuel P. Oliner: 1930-2021

    • He was such an amazing man. I had the privilege of interviewing him when I…

    • on November 23, 2021
  • Re: Jan S. Ostrom: 1945-2021

    • I was one of people (a daughter) in Jan's MFA project... a documentary on single…

    • on November 14, 2021

Care2 Take Action?


Facebook | Twitter

© 2021 North Coast Journal

Website powered by Foundation