JULY GARDEN CHECKLIST
- GROOM Billowing, overgrown perennials like
Nepeta, Coreopsis, Lamium, lavenders, Salvias, Perovskia, hardy
geraniums and the like can be sheared back if they are growing
out of bounds. A flush of new growth and flowers will follow
later in the summer and fall. Deadhead annuals if you want them
to continue blooming.
- PLAN FOR MORE COLOR Summer is a good time to plan for
late summer and fall color. Plant purple coneflower, black-eyed
Susan, Autumn Joy sedum, salvia and ornamental grasses. Many
warm season annuals like marigolds, lobelias, dahlias, snapdragons,
verbenas and impatiens can be planted now for more color.
- PLANT MORE VEGETABLES A midsummer planting of green beans,
summer squash, peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, beets and even
early maturing corn is a good idea this month.
- FERTILIZE All plants, indoors or out, benefit
from a mid-summer feeding.
- HOE HOE HOE Don't let summer weeds go to seed.
North Coast Journal Table of Contents