This article is so off base it is not funny. Plain and simple trucks are not the main vehicle to cause an accident. Most accidents are caused by cars, I ask before you wrote this article did you think to take a ride in a truck and see for yourself how we are treated by cars? Constantly getting cut off, changing lanes in front of use without using a blinker. You probably don't realize as I didn't see it in the article, but semi truck drivers have to go through a several week training process just to get the a class A license. Then after the license is obtained, you have to maintain a medical card that is renewed every two years, and lastly we are constantly monitored by the Dot making sure things are up and up. I ask you to contact OOIDA they can give you a lot of insight.
Lastly don't forget these big bad scarey trucks haul most of the crap we buy. Plain and simple you don't like trucks stop buying crap. These men and women spend countless hours on the road so you can have that crap. Maybe next time wave at them and thank a trucker, they are not as scarey as they seem.
And if this doesn't solve the problem, driverless trucks will, soon... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqfodY2Lz…
Quit smoking that dope! It does nothing for you! If you want to get no place, and be nothing
then keep on getting high! Taking drugs in general will ruin your whole life, and, can end it entirely. Pot is THE gateway drug. It is NOT medicine. It makes you stupid and paranoid, and not much else.
it took years to shut down rays in hoopa for it's disgusting rat infestation, so we'll see about the efficiency of ANY government
Please tell me the p.m. is a typo.
Excellent letter, Richard. Thank you.
As a woman I find the whole concept offensive and irritating. Using that word is such a cheap shot. Yes, we all have some idea what people mean when they use it but it varies from person to person. It is also a BUZZ word which lowers its value considerably among those who read for content and not titillation and for those who aren't sure about this word (to tickle; excite a tingling or itching sensation in, as by touching or stroking lightly) it's not based on the slang word for a part of the body).
But if the list were to be taken seriously, then the actual selected items could be subject to more scrutiny that just another 'd---' list.
There are topics out there more than worthy of an actual rant with facts and proof (and NO stupid moving pictures---what are we, three year olds?) but that would take work and not just quickly assembled personal opinions.
If the writer is looking to creating a following with her personal rhetoric, well good luck. There are more independent thinkers and writers in the area and what may not make it into
print is certainly expressed elsewhere.
And since I do read other publications and newspapers and hope for higher standards from all, I've been known to write a critical appraisal of the research and work that went into an article in the Guardian (UK) (the most recent call-out) as I feel and believe that those who write for publication (for the public) have a greater responsibility than many of them show.
i understand it is popular with progressive women to use male genetalia as a slur, as it is popular with rednecky guys to use female genitalia as a slur.. but cmon. if a college town rag like the journal doesn't want a sexist and pejorative culture, then riegn in your trendy sexist writers who are writing for guffaws and perpetuating double standards. surely the hip, progressive journal wouldn't print a page entitled " top ten cunt moves".
I liked the "Become a media critic" part of this editorial best!
"If a media source is telling you exactly what you want to hear, it's probably biased"
I believe we as individuals trusts more what makes us feel good first before looking up the validity of what is written. And if someone may have shared an opposing view and it be reality or close to because it is against what made another feel good, they are attacked. It is too bad people can not disagree without attacking opposing views and at the same time take a step back and consider all the facts outside those that feel good.
All of these things were terrible, but Kyle, wow, that was a dick move.
There are organizations in media which promulgate real news free of agenda (National Public Radio and Television stations for example) and there are organizations in media who promulgate "false" news to promote an agenda. Unfortunately, many people who vote can't discern one group from the other. If people were better educated and therefore better able to understand politics, economics, history, communication theory, science, and psychology then Trump wouldn't have stood a chance. We constantly overestimate the collective intellect of the average American voter. Too much an optimist, I suppose. We forget how many see the world through their personal paradigms formed by self-serving messages delivered by religion, Right Wing propaganda, and poverty. Desperate, semi-literate folks desperate to believe things will improve without understanding how it can make low-hanging fruit for the political agendas of the 1%, the NRA, the Alt Right, KKK, & Donald Trump. Those folks respond better to dog and pony shows than they do facts.
Ten Questions Trump and his Voters Fail to Ask themselves because they wont look at the uncomfortable truth facing them in the mirror:
Just ask yourself Trump Voters
1. Why did Donald initiate and maintain the birther issue / question the Presidents citizenship for more than six years without acknowledging he was racist in doing so? Was it (a) to pander to white supremist ideology? (b) because he doesnt care but lacked reasonable evidence Obama was not a citizen? (c) he truly doesnt think any black man is smart enough to be president? (d) some other invalid reason for prompting racial division.
2. Why do both Donald and Ivanka Trump enlist foreign manufacturers to produce clothing line items they market under their Trump name brands? Is it (a) more profitable for them to do so than have American manufacturers do the same? (b) because Donald is duplicitous when he criticizes American companies for doing the same? (c) because they think off-shore labor produces a higher quality product? (d) some other invalid reason.
3. Why does Donald Tweet his opinions rather than express them in detail in front of the press? Is it (a) because tweeting is one way communication only? (b) his followers cannot process information beyond 140 characters? (c) he fails to think things through in depth and lacks cognitive ability to present a cogent argument in support of his views? (d) it avoids intelligent discourse when he paints the press as biased and unfair to justify his avoidance of them.
4. Why did Donald settle his case re: unfair practices of Trump University? Was it (a) because he duped students into enrolling with false promises? (b) because he would have to be deposed by opposing attorneys and have to answer direct questions or embarrass himself with the answers he would give? (c) because some of his unfair practices were disclosed and publicized? or (d) he chose to quell further embarrassing disclosure.
5. Why does Donald promote getting himself and others like him richer on the premise it will improve the economic lot of blue collar workers? Is it (a) because trickle-down economics has failed miserably under previous Republican administrations only to recover again under each successive Democratic leadership since WW2 a fact workers who support the Republican party never seem to grasp? (b) because trickle-down economic theory always begins with the premise of lowering the corporate tax rate which then provides he and the fellow 1%ers in his cabinet more profit? (c) because it gets himself and others like him richer? (d) because the nonsense of trickle-down economic theory Republicans promote slips through amongst the false news and fear mongering they obscure it amongst.
6. Why is Donald on his third marriage? Is it (a) his wives and girlfriends like money and the luxury it affords them but cant tolerate him for any extended period of time? (b) his hands really are that small? (c) he objectifies women and treats them as means to an end? (d) his attorneys are very facile drafting pre-nuptial agreements that cover his infidelity.
7. Why does Donald like and promote beauty pageants so much? Is it that (a) without money or acclaim to be had beautiful young women dont usually associate themselves with horny old orange men sporting combovers? (b) he makes money at it that then makes beautiful young women want to associate with him? (c) it feeds his ego and provides a key to celebrity status? (d) because in his own words If youre a celebrity they just let you grab them?
8. Why does Donald deny climate change? Is it that (a) the Democratic party would never let him run as their candidate but, as a Republican, that party has painted itself into a corner as science disclaimers lacking common intelligence? (b) Donald doesnt really understand scientific theory? (c) Scientists what Donald says repugnant and therefore refuse to educate him? or (d) Donald digs coal because voting coal miners dont dig a future of clean air without coal mining.
9. Why does Donald fail to reveal his tax returns / provide details re: the extent of his investments and potential conflicts of interest? Is it (a) potentially embarrassing? (b) information that would require him to divest profitable holdings? (c) revealing in terms of why he supports specific causes and/or ideology? or (d) those details contain information that upon investigation would reveal fraud and/or illegal business practices.
10. Why does Donalds support come primarily from the South and rural mid-America? Is it (a) because thats where the issues prompting our civil war still reign (in the case of the South)? (b) because those areas are struggling in their attempts to assimilate diversity and fear-mongering finds audiences in those regions? (c) bias and stifled intellectual curiosity has been conclusively linked to agricultural chemicals, bar-b-que, and country music? or (d) all the above.
So long sixteen, youve been quite the year
Now, with the election over, its the result that I fear
With tweets from a twit in stunning array
Trumps taken this country to my painful dismay.
How dumb can folks be
Who threw in their lot
With a guy whod brag
About grabbin a twat?
A campaign bully, a trust funded jerk
He dumbed down his message, and made it work
Ignoring history, hed make up a fact
False news they called it Fox News backed!
Marked by his disdisdishonesty
He found some appeal, he did find some backers
Like David Dukes and white Southern crackers
I still marvel how he with the mighty thin skin
Could convince even ducks that they couldnt swim
And sell real dumb fucks theory best found in comics
Case in point: trickle - down economics
Ill always remember, in a not so fond way
The revisionist drivel spawned by Kellyanne _ _ _ _ _ _
And that kiss-ass suck-up Chris Christie
He with the integrity of your average rice krispy
Explain to me how this electoral college
Lacks walls or classrooms to the best of my knowledge
Yet can validate 2nd place losers by popular vote
And turn them to winners that so get my goat?
Is this college a fraud? Is it open to folks like me too?
Or is it an illusion like the notorious Trump U
Its scary to think what was done to Al Gore
But its happened again, add one Dem more
As this year ends and Mr. Obama retires
Weary from eight years of fighting the fires
I want to thank my President, with his tested tough chin
Who weathered raw racism again and again!
To be succeeded by a new leader of the pack
The pack leader to be who told Putey to hack
Who tweets away like hes strung out on crack
Who means what he says but dont know Jack
Hes an entitled man child, thats putting it mild
He walks like a man and talks like a child
But theres more to this boy its the sum of his parts
That clouds the air like smelly old farts
When that air is polluted by more corporate profit
The water unfit because Trump thought little of it
When the country goes broke building some stupid wall
Tell me people, who ya gonna call?
With a soul which is sold through conflicts of interest
A prep school general who quite clearly pimped us,
will be deep in the swamp - with his ass nipped by gators
And when the economy flips, well all be Trump haters!
The redeeming knowledge held by each democrat
Is our Prez is still young, therell always be that
And old Don will have a sound critic, the one whos been there
The man still respected, for whom we still care
The man who came in / saved the economys ass
Who spoke with eloquence, the one who at last
Pulled us out of Iraq and stopped the damnation
Of dropping bombs on that troubled nation.
I cant wait for Barrack to lead the opposition
The public rallies are gonna be YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!
To all GOP who ducked Clinton for this?
To Mitch McConnell
To Ted Cruz
To Chris Christie
To Kellyanne Conway
To Paul Ryan
To Trey Gowdy
To FBI Director Comey
To You Trump Sucking Lovers of guns, One per centers, Climate change deniers, Sexist misogynists and Racial bigots
You can lie to yourself that youre not the sexist, racist xenophobe that our next commander in grief is. You can also try convincing sheep that theyre really kimono dragons. But while you Trump stumpers practice your patriot tea party swagger, history will remember you for what your vote did to set this country back in 2016.
Water is life. This is the mantra of the Water protectors in Standing Rock in North Dakota who have stopped at least temporarily the Dakota Access Pipe Line. If the marijuana growers impact any tribal water resources, mark my words, Tribal Governments will shut them down.
How can "half the nation" elect anyone when over half the potential U.S. voters are not even registered to vote?
Media and education are two of the leading causes of misinformed, apathetic citizens, this article provides a good example why that's true.
Finally, a local media source has taken the time and space to provide the most thorough account yet of a police force out of control. Looking back at the recurring civilian deaths over the last 10 years, none of the alleged crimes, if adjudicated, were punishable by death.
I remember the lone officer chasing a truant 16 year old allegedly "brandishing a knife" who hadn't harmed anyone, shot dead, ("Burgess"?) , and an emotionally distraught woman "brandishing a flare gun" shot dead in her apartment without any efforts to "talk her down" by a professional, and 22 year old "McClain" shot dead in his front yard, and now, dozens of stray bullets in downtown Eureka???
Are you kidding me?
A big part of Eureka's problem, never covered by media, is that its law enforcement is funded for a city of 28,000 when, in reality, it's a city 3 times that size when you include the border communities that rely on Eureka for everything. If Eureka is going to require officers to manage mental illness, addicts, children, and homelessness, in addition to what they're trained for...CRIME...it should be obvious that we can expect inappropriate, disproportionate police responses that endanger as much as protect. I want a fully-funded police force patrolling my neighborhood, not chasing the homeless from one bush to another.
If Eureka's political "leadership" cared more about its multiple fiscal maladies than the financial interests of a handful of propertied old-families and make concerted efforts to expand its borders, it wouldn't have had these needless deaths, three closed elementary schools, streets unsafe to walk or drive, and one-hundred million dollars of unfunded infrastructure liabilities.
+Joel Mielke, I'm not quite sure what part of 44 bullets fired by cops that you're missing?? You obviously feel cops should have carte blanche to shoot as many bullets as they like regardless of how many people they endanger. Witnesses will most certainly tell what really happen. Just because cops have badges doesn't give them the right to shoot like wild men on city streets. If witnesses prove this guy was much less of a danger than the cops are claiming, then at least one cop should be fired asap. It's our right and duty as citizens to hold all parts of government (especially law enforcement) accountable for their actions.
In addition to the long list of horrors before us, everyone should also know just how heartless, mean, angry and bigoted Pence really is.
While governor he eliminated funding for HIV prevention. Gone. Poof. Kicked 'em to the gutter.
Gee, guess what happened? The HIV infection rate soared in following times.
Pence is a jackal, true, but he isn't ignorant enough not to see a cause and affect with such horror.
The rest of the story being that now there are folks infected who could have been saved, they will all need to be helped in varying degrees for the rest of their lives....or as Pence would prefer, they just die and get the hell out of the way.
He seems to believe that only people who deserve it get infected.
This is one of those instances where if I believed in a god(s) I would have bruised knees from so much praying.
Doomed, I tell ya. This country has been taken over by the barbarians. Who's gonna stop them? They own the whole damn store.
Good bye, 'merica. Democracy almost worked.
That's the nitty-gritty all right. You cut succinctly to the bottom line of this whole situation. It takes some time and a great deal of experience to get to the core of scams like his - hidden behind dummy corporations and partnerships - preying on complex manipulations of poorly understood and monitored government entitlement programs. Kinda reminds me of Trump's complex and entangled corporate dealings under consistent audit by the IRs and his assuming control of the nation without revealing his tax returns or otherwise giving full disclosure to the public re: potential conflict of interest between his own interests and their interests / interest of the nation. All the while filling his cabinet with 1%ers similarly experienced with increasing their personal coffers with exorbitant corporate profits gained at the expense of the little guys and gals and the natural environment of America. None of them ever experienced working within government - always whining about governmental interference interfering with their personal profit making. They didn't drain the swamp, they filled it with alligators.
In Print This Week:
Jan 12, 2017
vol XXVIII issue 2
The North Coast Journal Weekly
Website powered by Foundation