Monday, March 9, 2015
Fall Victim Identified as 58-Year-Old Eurekan
By Thadeus Greenson
on Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:08 PM
According to Humboldt Bay Fire, Maxon was using a hose to attempt to put out a fire in the chimney area of his large, two-story Victorian in the 200 block of Long Street. The fire is belived to have been started by wood stove embers that landed on the building’s roof, causing it to ignite, according to a press release.
The initial press release from Humbodt Bay Fire is below:
On March 6th 2015 at approximately 10:30 PM a Humboldt Bay Fire Engine Company was dispatched to a reported chimney fire at 230 Long Street. Upon arrival the Engine Captain reported that fire had extended to the roof and eaves of a large two-story Victorian-style residence. In addition, a resident had fallen approximately 15’ off of a ladder while attempting to extinguish the fire and had sustained serious injuries. Additional fire units and an ambulance were called to the scene.
As the first due engine company was engaged in patient care, subsequent arriving engines and the truck company focused on extinguishing the fire and checking for extension into the attic. The resident was transported to St Joseph Hospital. Unfortunately, in spite of the efforts of fire, ambulance, and emergency room staff the victim succumbed to his injuries.
Crews extinguished the fire and remained on scene for approximately one hour to ensure the fire was completely out. The fire, caused by wood stove embers landing on and igniting the building’s shake roof, caused approximately $10,000 in fire and smoke damage to the residence.
The Humboldt County Coroner’s Office has identified the Eureka man who died after falling 15 feet off a ladder while fighting a fire at his home Friday night as 58-year-old David Maxon.