Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Teen Shot in Eureka

Posted By on Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM

From the EPD:

On 1/15/07 at about 1:25 am the Eureka Police Department received a report that a 16-year-old male gunshot victim had arrived at the St Joseph Hospital Emergency Room. Officers contacted the victim who explained that unknown suspects had attempted to rob him on Pine Street near Lincoln School. During the course of the robbery attempt he was shot by one of the suspects at close range under his chin. The victim suffered moderate facial/mouth injuries and is expected to fully recover.

The suspects were described as two white males –

1. White male adult, appx 20-21 years old, 5’-11", 6’-00", short blond hair, last seen wearing white t-shirt and jeans armed with an unknown caliber handgun.

2. White male adult, 18-20 years, collar length hair , last seen wearing a black sweatshirt with "ECHO" printed on the front, bright blue jeans.

The suspects were last seen fleeing the area in an older white Chevy Nova with a bad spray paint job.

The investigation is continuing.

Anyone who witnessed the incident, or knows the identity of the suspects, is urged to contact Sgt Patrick O’Neill at (707) 441-4300.

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Monday, January 14, 2008

Rumor of the Week

Posted By on Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Says a for-the-moment unidentified but reputable source:

Keep your eyes and ears open, BILL CLINTON is tentatively scheduled to fly up to Eureka on Wed. 1/15 landing around noon and traveling either to HSU or Stanton's restaurant. We need to bring lots of people up to the airport to greet him and then follow him down to Eureka. I will have signs for you to wave. It is TENTATIVE and can change at moment's notice, but tell any one you know to join you and see if we can mount a big contingent of supporters.

I will keep you informed.

Wednesday, Jan. 15, doesn't appear on my calendar, so something's cockeyed. Updates as we find them.

For the time being, though: HSU or Stanton's? If Bill were to wrap his big ol' arm around your shoulder and ask for your heartfelt advice, which would you recommend? I think we all know where Ekovox stands on the issue ...

UPDATE, 2 p.m.: Milt Boyd, chair of the local chapter of the Democratic Party, says that nothing's certain yet but he should know by the end of the day.

Boyd said that Connie Stewart, aide to Assemblymember Patty Berg, gave him a call early this morning asking if he could talk to people from Hillary Clinton's campaign. He said sure. Originally, the Clintonians had planned to get Bill here tomorrow, but that was pushed back to Wednesday (Jan. 16). But even that isn't completely solid yet.

Why here? "Because a it's a solidly Democratic area," Boyd said. "What was mentioned was that we have some critical environmental issues. They said 'We're aware that the area has been at the forefront of some environmental concerns.'"

UPDATE, 4:30 p.m. : Apparently it's all more or less nailed down. The plan now is that Bill's going to make a public appearance between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. Wednesday. Venue TBA.

UPDATE 7 p.m. : President Clinton is in Las Vegas tonight . He'll be watching tomorrow's Nevada Democratic debate in Sacramento (registration required) . The debate starts at 5 p.m. 6 p.m.

UPDATE Tuesday, 7:30 a.m. : The Times-Standard story is out. Under an ejaculatory headline -- "BILL CLINTON'S COMING," all caps -- T-S staffer Thadeus Greenson reports that Rep. Mike Thompson endorsed Hillary Clinton yesterday, and that Clintonian scouts will be on the ground today getting the lay of the land (*cough*).

Greenson includes some informative B-matter:

Clinton, the nation's 42nd president, held office from 1993 to 2001, with Hillary Clinton serving as first lady ...

Word is that they're also both mammalian specimens of the genus Homo sapiens , each with 10 fingers and 10 toes.

UPDATE, Tuesday 5 p.m. : See here .

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Thursday, January 10, 2008

virtual interview with guitarist David Daniell

Posted By on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Who are you?

My name is David Daniell. I'm a guitarist. I've been playing with a guitar/guitar/drums trio called San Agustin for the last 10+ years, with releases on Family Vineyard and Table of the Elements . The last few years I've been focusing on solo electric guitar.

Where are you from?

I grew up in a small town called Vidalia , in south Georgia. It's about halfway between Macon and Savannah. There was a huge onion field across the road from my house for much of my childhood. In 1991 I moved to Atlanta, where I played heavy post/math-rock in a band called Barrel for a number of years. In 1996 or so, the bassist from Barrel ( Andrew Burnes ) and I started San Agustin , with myself and Andrew on guitars and Bryan Fielden on drums. Andrew and Bryan still live in Atlanta; I moved to NYC in 2000, then to Chicago in mid-2006.

What do you do?

Lots of different things. My solo guitar work is lately focusing on layers of textures and drones with references to the blues and the legacy of guitarists such as Sandy Bull , John Fahey , Sonny Sharrock ... My live music is almost entirely improvised (though I've also written large ensemble pieces for acoustic instruments, minimalist work in the Terry Riley sense of the word); my solo recordings are through-composed, but using improvised elements as building blocks.

Since moving to Chicago I've been playing in a duo with Doug McCombs (of Tortoise , Brokeback , Eleventh Dream Day ). I've also spent the last couple of years working with composer Rhys Chatham and with drummer Jonathan Kane (the original drummer of the Swans ).

Also, in 2002 James Elliott (a.k.a. Table of the Elements artist " Ateleia ") and I started a record label, Antiopic . Our most recent releases are a 3" CD of the guitar trio of Tetuzi Akiyama, Oren Ambarchi and Alan Licht ; and a double CD release of the work of Alvin Lucier, performed by bass clarinetist Anthony Burr and cellist Charles Curtis.

Why do you do what you do?

That's a tough one, I really don't know if I can give a very insightful answer. I enjoy art that plays with the perception of time - and I think music is the very best way to do this. The passing of time is the big undeniable fact of living, after all. So, working with long-form music, repetition, drones, etc, as well as with references to styles and sounds which may be naggingly familiar but unplaceable, all these are tools for screwing around with an audience's (and my own) experiential sense of here-and-now vs. the moments passing by.

What are you working on?

The big focus for me lately has been developing and expanding my live performance set. After the current short tour of the west coast, I head to Europe for a month.

I've also been working on a recording project with Jeremy Lemos (of White/Light) and making plans to record the duo with Doug McCombs . A new solo album is in the works as well.

What’s next?

After the west coast dates (San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, Arcata, Portland, Seattle) I go back to Chicago for a couple of weeks. During that time there are two San Agustin shows in Chicago (first time this band has played in Chicago) and I have a solo show in Milwaukee. Then like I wrote above, I'm gone to Europe for the month of February - Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium and Switzerland. By the time that's over, the worst of the Chicago winter should be nearly gone...

When will you be here?

January 14th at Jambalaya. Starving Weirdos are on the bill (and they put together the show - many thanks) as is Michael Fles' project "Sahaja".

main website: www.daviddaniell.com
myspace: myspace.com/davidwdaniell

also you can find me at Front Porch Production

and here's Antiopic, the record label I run.

Anything else you want to add?

Nothing I can think of. Thanks again.

- david daniell

David Daniell poster

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Gallegos Loses

Posted By on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM

The First Appellate Court has just weighed in on the landmark fraud suit brought by District Attorney Paul Gallegos against Pacific Lumber. Gallegos has lost. The trial court decision to toss the case on demurrer was affirmed in full.

More to come...

UPDATE: The appellate court decision can be found here (.pdf).

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Tags: ,

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Duel

Posted By on Tue, Jan 8, 2008 at 9:09 PM

While national politics dominate the news tonight, why not take a moment to revisit a seminal moment in our country's history as retold by a guy who just slammed a pint of Scotch?

Starring Michael Cera, the greatest actor in America*.

* = (... who does not appear on The Wire and is also not named Philip Seymour Hoffman.)

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Tags: ,

December Humboldt Economic Index

Posted By on Tue, Jan 8, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Just published .
This month the Composite Index dropped under 100 for the first time since January 1997. The Index stands at 99.9 -- a 5.2% drop from last month. With two or three leading indicators showing signs of slowing accompanied with a decline in all sectors for which data were available, the Humboldt County economy is showing many signs of slowing. With gas prices still rising in Humboldt County as well, the combined effect seems to be a somewhat cheerless lead in to the holiday season.

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Shit Creek

Posted By on Tue, Jan 8, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Just in case you're not tuned in to the master HumCo blogfeed, ace reporter Ernie Branscomb is saying that a crashed truck just dumped 2,000 gallons of raw sewage into the South Fork of the Eel just north of Garberville. No one hurt, apparently.

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Monday, January 7, 2008

Marin Judge Prepares Railroad Slam

Posted By on Mon, Jan 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM

On the eve of the big North Coast Railroad Authority v. Everyone lawsuit trial date down in Marin County, a judge has signaled that he is inclined to rule against the railroad authority and for the County of Marin, the City of Novato and several Bay Area and Humboldt County environmental organizations.

In a pretrial memorandum, Marin County Superior Court Judge James R. Ritchie has signaled that he is inclined to issue a preliminary injunction on all railroad repair work currently underway on the south end of the line. (Technically, he writes that he's inclined to stop all work contracted after Oct. 15 of this year, or work contracted before that has not actually begun.)

Beyond that, though, Ritchie writes that at this stage of the game he is inclined to side with the plaintiffs' fundamental allegation -- that the North Coast Railroad Authority violated the California Environmental Quality Act when it segmented the line into various parts, apparently in an effort to skirt the impact of the huge amount of traffic it plans to see coming down from Humboldt County. Here's Ritchie's take on the plaintiffs' case:

Regarding likelihood of success: As discussed above, it appears that NCRA violated CEQA by filing the disputed Notices of Exemption before project approval, and by entering into contracts and allowing work to commence before performing the required CEQA analysis. It also appears that NCRA was attempting to avoid conducting CEQA review by claiming that an Environmental Impact Report ("EIR") was not necessary for the construction work itself, but was necessary only for the planned operation of the railway. Instead, the "whole" project -- whether broken up geographically, by phases of construction and operation, or otherwise -- must be considered in CEQA analysis.

If the ruling eventually shakes out this way, the railroad authority will have to do a full environmental analysis of its entire plans for the line. And if that happens, it should at least resolve most of the doubletalk that has been endemic to NCRA and Humboldt Bay District planning over the last couple of years.

To read Judge James R. Ritchie's assessment of the case, check pages 14-17 of this PDF file. The case will be heard tomorrow morning at 9 a.m.

You can download a PDF of an early plaintiffs' brief in the case here.

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Plus ça change

Posted By on Mon, Jan 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM

The team at the Anderson Valley Advertiser dug up this little excerpt from Kenneth Rexroth's An Autobiographical Novel and reprinted it in last week's issue.

This would have taken place sometime in the 1920s.

At last we came to the California border and the first day into the state we took a detour away from the coast onto the highway. We got a ride from a traveling salesman and stopped for lunch at a roadside restaurant above a river mouth, possibly the Klamath. We weren't hungry so we each had a piece of apple pie and a cup of coffee. The salesman wanted to treat us but I insisted on paying for it. When I went up to the case register the proprietor said, "Three dollars." I thought he was kidding. "Thirty cents?" I said. "You mean sixty cents, don't you? We had two pieces of pie and two cups of coffee." "No," he said. "I don't mean thirty cents. I mean three dollars. A dollar apiece for the pie and fifty cents for the coffee." "Go on," I said, "stop kidding. How much is it?" I stood there with my wallet in my hand, putting on my heavy pack and slightly off balance. "Listen, you son of a bitch," he said. "We don't want bastards like you in this country." He came around the counter and hit me full in the mouth and knocked me down. As I went down I kicked him in the nuts and as he fell backwards Andree hit him over the head with a bottle of ketchup. The salesman grabbed us, threw us into the car, and tore off down the road. At the first gas station we asked where we could find a sheriff. "Down the road half a mile, the first house on the left." He was sitting on the porch, muddy logger's boots up on the railing, reading a newspaper and spitting tobacco, a star pinned to his greasy vest. We went up and made a complaint. He didn't even take down his feet, but drew a pistol and said to the salesman, "Get off down the highway and get those sons of bitches out of the country or I'll lock you all up." We had arrived in California.

Episodes like this were the common thing in the northern three counties of California in those days, and now anybody conspicuously foreign finds it almost impossible to get service or accomodations. No colored person of any race is served at all. No Negro, Chinese, Japanese or Filipino is allowed to settle in the country. I don't know what happens to them nowadays if they try. Thirty years ago they never tried, or if they did they simply vanished. In Crescent City and Eureka we met the same kind of hostility, although not so extreme. However we found it almost impossible to camp out. We would stop on the beach with no habitation in sight, build a fire, and in a few minutes up would come somebody on a horse and drive us off with a gun. For the next couple of days we lived largely on cold food out of grocery stores. I have been all over the Southern mountains, northern Maine, and French Canada, regions where outlanders are traditionally not welcome, but I have never met anyone like the malignant native sons of far northern California.

• Pin It
  • Favorite

Tags: ,

Saturday, January 5, 2008

The NCRA's New Play

Posted By on Sat, Jan 5, 2008 at 11:04 AM

The North Coast Railroad Authority and the Humboldt Bay Harbor, Recreation and Conservation district have unveiled a creative new scheme to kill the gathering momentum for a pedestrian/bicycle trail between Eureka and Arcata.

The two agencies together will apply for a $19 million grant from the state of California to reopen the northern Humboldt section of the line -- from Samoa to South Fork -- as a standalone freight line. The proposed project would cost $38 million in total; the two districts forecast that the rest of the funds would come from a $4 million federal transportation grant and a $15 million loan from the Federal Railroad Administration. Some of the money would be spent on improving facilities on the Port of Humboldt Bay.

The application makes no specific mention of what sort of goods might be transported on this new, intra-Humboldt freight line. If the agencies have any plan at all, it is likely that they are thinking about shipping Eel River Valley gravel and forest products to the Port of Humboldt Bay, where they will be loaded on barges and exported.

NWP Co. projects that traffic on this line will be general freight originating within the Northern Corridor that will be transferred from rail to barge at a transload facility within the Port of Humboldt Bay. Such traffic could generate about 6,000 rail carloads annually and remove approximately 48,000 loaded and empty truck movements annually from the highways in and around Humboldt Bay.

Since the state funds that the NCRA/Harbor District is targeting are earmarked for relief of traffic congestion, the application has to make the case that Highway 101 between Arcata and the Avenue of the Giants is currently jammed up:
Capacity constraints on existing systems, particularly U.S. Highway 101 that results in travel delays and congestion. The rail service would remove a portion of the current commercial truck traffic on the roadways thus reducing traffic congestion.

Both the Bay District  and the NCRA Board of Directors will have to approve the application before it is sent off to the California Transportation Commission. Both are agencies are meeting in Eureka in the coming week.

It's interesting timing. This application was released just days before that local trail advocates were scheduled to make a presentation to the NCRA board of directors, which meets in Eureka on Wednesday. That presentation is still on the agenda, but now it looks like it's being overshadowed the new grant application.

Last time the NCRA was in town, several Humboldt County rail supporters took notice of the gathering trail movement that has been eyeing the 10-years-fallow rail line around Humboldt Bay as the most expedient way to get the trail. The rail supporters warned the NCRA that the trail people were gaining power, and said that the authority had to "use it or lose it."

Now it looks like the authority has found a way to "use" it -- at least for political purposes, and possibly as a source of more federal and state dollars. According to the grant application, even if fully funded the project wouldn't be complete until 2015.

Download the NCRA/Bay District's proposed grant application (.pdf).

Download the agenda for the NCRA meeting (.pdf) in Eureka on Wednesday, Jan. 9, at 11 a.m. The meeting will be held in the Humboldt County Board of Supervisors' chambers at 825 5th Street, Eureka.

The Bay District will meet on Thursday, Jan. 10, at 7 p.m., also in the Board of Supervisors' Chambers.

• Pin It